Mistletoe Monday – December 16th
Wear red and green to start off our theme week!
Tinsel Tuesday – December 17th
Wear shiny colors of silver and blue!
Winter Candy Cane Wednesday – December 18th
Wear red and white or stripes!
Holiday Traditions Thursday – December 19th
Wear your holiday shirts & other clothing items!
Fuzzy, Comfy Jammie Friday – December 20th
Wear your favorite pajamas! No slippers, please.
PICTURE DAY IS COMING SOON!
Our class pictures will be taken on Friday, December 6th. If you would like to purchase photos please complete the form and return payment in the provided envelope. Picture forms & envelopes were sent home in backpacks. If you did not receive one please contact me for a replacement.
Before I stuff our turkey and before I eat too many slices of Grandma B’s special homemade pie, I wanted to say how thankful I am to have your children with me this school year. I feel so very blessed to be a part of their lives and to be given the opportunity to share in their learning. Thank you parents for all of your support at home and for your hours of volunteer time in our classroom. Room 104 and our school are exciting places to learn because of you! I hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend. I look forward to seeing those first grade smiles again on Monday morning!
Thanksgiving is Thursday, November 22! In preparation for this national holiday, we will be reading books about the first Thanksgiving celebration and completing other themed activities in our classroom. I know this is a very busy travel weekend for many families; if your child will be missing any school days please contact me as soon as possible so that I may gather work to be sent home.
There are no classes Wednesday, November 27 – Friday, November 29th.
There will be no school on Monday, November 11th in honor of Veterans Day. Veterans Day is a day to thank our veterans for dedicated and loyal service to their country. We thank all our veterans for the sacrifices they have made in their lives to keep our country free. Check out the “Explore Chicago” link on the sidebar to find local events honoring our nation’s veterans this weekend.
Also, a reminder that Report Card Pick Up is Wednesday, November 13th. There will be no classes for students this day. More information will be sent home in backpack mail.
Wednesday, November 13, 2019
TIme: 12:00-2:00 (teacher lunch) 2:45-6:00
I’m looking forward to meeting with you to discuss your child’s progress in first grade. Please sign-in on the clipboard outside of room 104 on the day of conferences. Parents are invited to visit homeroom and reading teachers. Facilities teachers will also be available in their classroom for conferences. Arrive early and visit our school spirit wear tables, book fair, and hall displays!
- HANDS-ON HELPERS: Join us for special projects and have some fun in first grade. CAC projects are sometimes messy, sometimes glittery, and always a good time. If you like noise, paint, and glue…this job is for you!
- TEACHER’S HELPER: Do you like to work independently? Good at organizing? The first-grade teachers need helping hands to change bulletin board displays, create student materials, and assist with clerical tasks.
- PARTY HELPERS: Do you enjoy leading games and decorating for the holidays? We need fun adults to celebrate with us! Volunteers are needed to plan/host the Halloween Carnival, Winter Decorating, and Field Day.
- FIELD TRIP CHAPERONES: Our first-grade curriculum includes field experiences to extend our learning. These trips will require several responsible adults to help lead the way and keep our class safe. Volunteer request forms will be sent out about one month before the trip. In the event that we have more volunteers than are needed, I will draw names from a hat. I will make every effort to include all who are interested.
IMPORTANT: ALL volunteers must complete the CPS online volunteer application.
Step 1: complete the online volunteer form https://chicagopublicschools.civicore.com/admin/index.php?section=application&action=new
NOTE: You are requesting to be a level 2 volunteer. A fingerprint criminal background check is not required for Level II Volunteers.
- volunteer service in their child’s school or classroom for less than 10 hours/week;
- A parent accompanying his/her child’s class on a one-day field trip or another type of extracurricular activity that does not involve an overnight stay;
Step 2: Please stop by the school to present your ID to the volunteer coordinator as soon as possible.
Step 3: Once this step has been done the school will approve you as a volunteer candidate, you will receive a separate email with instructions regarding next steps.
Step 4: To access your account and review your status, please visit the Chicago Public Schools volunteer website: https://chicagopublicschools.civicore.com
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!