Wednesday, November 14, 2018
TIme: 12:00-2:00 (teacher lunch) 2:45-6:00
I’m looking forward to meeting with you to discuss your child’s progress in first grade. Please sign-in on the clipboard outside of room 104 on the day of conferences. Parents are invited to visit homeroom and reading teachers. Facilities teachers will also be available in their classroom for conferences. Arrive early and visit our school spirit wear tables, book fair, and hall displays!
There are no classes for students this Friday, November 2, 2018.
This is a CPS School Improvement day. Have a great long weekend!
The first-grade pod will be viewing several short films at the International Children’s Film Festival. Permission slips and fees need to be returned by Tuesday, October 30th. Cost of the trip is $2.00. We will be taking a limited number of chaperones. If you are interested in joining room 104 please mark the permission slip chaperone box. I will be randomly selecting volunteer names on Thursday morning. Chaperones will be notified by email and backpack mail. All chaperones are required to have completed the online CPS volunteer screening process.
We have much to celebrate this week in first grade. I’m so proud of everyone’s performance Friday. Room 104 shined on stage! Thank you to all of the families that were able to attend the live performance. It was great to talk with you after the show. Digital download purchase forms were sent home on Friday, please let me know if you need a new form.
Thank you to the wonderful parents that helped us during our CAC unit. We couldn’t have done it without you! I am so appreciative of your support in the classroom and behind the scenes. THANK YOU!!
Our regular classroom and reading schedules will resume Monday, October 26, 2018. Thank you, families, for reading together and practicing math facts with your child every night. These daily routines build strong foundations for future learning. I look forward to seeing you again at our parent-teacher conference on November 14, 2018.
We are looking forward to having a spooktacular time celebrating Halloween Wednesday! Important Reminders:
- Costumes will be worn all day. Children should arrive at school in costume.
- No weapons or masks with costumes.
- Label all small pieces (ie: crowns, gloves, capes)
- Treats may be sent to school for take-home goody bags. All treats must be individually wrapped or non-edible
- Volunteers are welcome to help at the morning Halloween Carnival. Check in at the main office and with Ms. Caudill for directions. Parents are required to have completed the online CPS volunteer process.
I know many families have multiple classrooms to visit tonight.
Click on the link below to see the information shared with first-grade families during Open House.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Parents, grandparents, and friends are invited to attend our school Open House on Wednesday, September 26th at 6:00 pm. Meet in Room 104 to learn about our first-grade curriculum. Take a look at some of our learning materials and write a special note to your child. Explore the many facilities classrooms to learn more about what makes Disney school so special.
Your All-Access Backstage Pass to Open House includes:
- Curriculum presentations and previews of student materials
- Meet your child’s reading teacher
- An opportunity to visit our extraordinary ancillary staff in their classrooms
I look forward to seeing you Wednesday evening!
No experience necessary…just a little time to spare and share.
- HANDS-ON HELPERS: Join us for special projects and have some fun in first grade. CAC projects are sometimes messy, sometimes glittery, and always a good time. If you like noise, paint, and glue…this job is for you!
- TEACHER’S HELPER: Do you like to work independently? Good at organizing? The first-grade teachers need helping hands to change bulletin board displays, create student materials, and assist with clerical tasks.
- PARTY HELPERS: Do you enjoy leading games and decorating for the holidays? We need fun adults to celebrate with us! Volunteers are needed to plan/host the Halloween Carnival, Winter Decorating, and Field Day.
- FIELD TRIP CHAPERONES: Our first-grade curriculum includes field experiences to extend our learning. These trips will require several responsible adults to help lead the way and keep our class safe. Volunteer request forms will be sent out about one month before the trip. In the event that we have more volunteers than are needed, I will draw names from a hat. I will make every effort to include all who are interested.
New this school year, ALL volunteers must complete the CPS online volunteer application.
Step 1: complete the online volunteer form https://chicagopublicschools.civicore.com/admin/index.php?section=application&action=new
NOTE: You are requesting to be a level 2 volunteer. A fingerprint criminal background check is not required for Level II Volunteers.
- volunteer service in their child’s school or classroom for less than 10 hours/week;
- A parent accompanying his/her child’s class on a one-day field trip or another type of extracurricular activity that does not involve an overnight stay;
Step 2: Please stop by the school to present your ID to the volunteer coordinator as soon as possible.
Step 3: Once this step has been done the school will approve you as a volunteer candidate, you will receive a separate email with instructions regarding next steps.
Step 4: To access your account and review your status, please visit the Chicago Public Schools volunteer website: https://chicagopublicschools.civicore.com
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
Dear Disney Friend,
Welcome to first grade! I am so excited for our new school year to begin. Our first day of first grade will be Tuesday, September 4, 2018. Join your new first grade friends in the CAC by 7:30 am.
All first graders will enter through the CAC and come to pod 100 together. Your teacher will lead you to your new classroom. We are room 104. After a little while, we will say goodbye to the grown-ups and begin our school day. We will play games, read stories and do some fun projects. I can’t wait to hear all about what you did this summer!
Don’t forget to plan a yummy lunch for the first day of school! We will be eating in the cafeteria before recess. You can bring your favorite foods from home or our cafeteria helpers serve delicious hot lunches too. All school lunches are free. Don’t worry if this is new for you, I’ll be in the lunchroom to help you and the cafeteria helpers are really nice people too.
Our classroom is a very special place to learn and grow. I know we will have great fun playing games and reading stories together. This year we will laugh a lot, explore, learn new things, sometimes get messy, and be very good friends. See you soon!