Although the lunch period is one of the shortest time slots on our schedule, it is the area that I receive the most questions from parents and an area that many children feel anxious about. Below I explain the lunch procedures, provide links to the school menu, and outline payment options. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.LUNCH OPTIONS
- You may choose the school “hot lunch” with a drink. All school lunches are free of charge. I will give your child a “hot lunch ticket” to bring to the cafeteria at our lunch time. Children join the “hot lunch line”, hand the ticket to the cafeteria helper, select a tray, and choose from the different menu items on display. The cafeteria staff will assist your child in choosing a well-balanced lunch if needed. Students are also given the choice of white or chocolate milk.
- You may choose to pack a lunch and drink at home. Send the lunch to school in an insulated lunchbox labeled with your child’s name. These boxes are kept in our class cubbies and brought to the cafeteria at our lunch time.
- You may choose to pack a lunch at home and choose milk at school. Upon entering the cafeteria, students join the milk line to retrieve a carton of their choice.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Where can I find the school lunch and breakfast menus? Click the picture below for current menus at the Chartwells site
- What time is lunch? Our class assigned lunch period is 12-12:30. It can be difficult for first graders to settle in and eat lunch in such a short period of time. Please encourage your child to eat their sandwich first. I will encourage the children to take home any unfinished food so that you can see just how much is being eaten at school.
- Will you be in the lunchroom to help my child? Reassure your child that a friendly adult will be there to help them and answer their questions. During the first week of school I try to stay in the lunchroom until all of my students are settled at a table. However, this is also the only time I have to eat lunch and prepare for afternoon activities too. We are very lucky to have great cafeteria employees who are happy to help all students!
- What is Disney Fine Dining? Each week 2 students will be chosen by the lunch-recess monitors to be our classroom “Fine Diners”. These students will each choose a friend to join them at their specially decorated table to eat lunch.
- How does our school keep children with food allergies safe? If your child has a food allergy, please contact the main office to arrange a meeting with the school nurse and support team. An individualized 504 PLAN will be written stating your child’s allergies, emergency procedures and precautions. For the safety of all students we ask that children do not share food with friends. Special cafeteria seating is available if needed.