Welcome back to remote learning week 4! I hope this message finds your family healthy and safe. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance during this time. Here are some links to resources from CPS & Disney School:
- Meal Pick-Up Times- Disney School is NOT a meal distribution site. Families can pick up meals outside of their nearest CPS school – they DO NOT need to pick up meals at their school of attendance. Use this link to search for a school near you: https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/mealdistributionsites/index.html?timePeriod=spring
- Packet Pick-Up – Would your family prefer paper and pencil work for your children? Need extra enrichment activities for your Disney students? School meal distribution sites (see above) will have grade-specific packets available at the meal pick-up tables for students. These are optional activities. You may use these in place of the assigned digital work or as extra practice.
- iPad Pick-Up – Disney is providing iPads for students to borrow during the remote learning time. If your family would like an iPad please call the main office or email me to arrange an appointment for pick up.
- Counseling Office Website – Providing resources for families including ideas to emotionally support your child during this crisis and links for housing, utilities, internet, & food assistance. https://selwithmc.weebly.com/
CPS Grade 1 Remote Learning Expectations: Students should plan for 90 minutes of learning each day.
Reading: Complete the following activities by Sunday, April 19th
- Choose one of the reading activities from the menu each day (5 total). Read for 20 minutes each day. The kids enjoyed this activity so much last week I thought we would do it again. Try a new activity from the menu or repeat a favorite! Happy reading everyone!
2. Watch this BrainPopJr video to review nonfiction text features.
3. Practice IXL 2nd Grade Language Arts: (Have you already done these skills? Way to go! Try a 3rd-grade challenge of your choice!)
E.3 & E.4 Long and Short Vowels W.1 Use text features U.1 Compare and Contrast informational text passages
4. Follow the Scholastic Day 1 Grade 1-2 Activities Animal Studies – Spiders
5. Complete 60 minutes of eSpark reading this week.
Optional Enrichment Activity: Fans of Dav Pilkey can join the author and Dog Man for creative activities at Scholastic!
Math: Complete the following 5 shape activities by Sunday, April 19th. You do not need to print these pages… Students may draw pictures on paper from your home. Send a photo using ClassDojo or email to email@example.com to show your work.
Activity 1: Shape picture challenge: You will need 1 die from a board game.
Activity 2: Create a picture using the shapes described. A shape drawing guide is provided.
Activity 3: Go on a 3D shape hunt. Draw the items you found.
Activity 4: Watch shape videos with a pet or stuffed animal.
Watch this fun Shape Practice video. Pay close attention to the quadrilateral section of the video! What is a quadrilateral? Teach the meaning of a quadrilateral to your pet (stuffed pets work too!)
Grab a microphone and have a sing-along with your super-smart pet. Here is a shape song to sing together!
Activity 5: Complete 60 minutes of eSpark math this week.
Optional Enrichment: This website has GREAT shape games. Check out the geoboard, symmetry, and more! Most of the games are tablet friendly.
Science & Social Studies: Complete the following activities by Sunday, April 19th. Families are welcome to share photos of children completing learning activities to be shared on Disney’s social media sites. Please include a note giving consent to share online with the photo.
- Field Trip! Pack a picnic snack and see the animals of the San Diego Zoo! When I checked the live cameras, the animals of the African plains were very busy, the koala was napping, the penguins were chatting, and the other animals were hiding. Just like a real zoo visit, some animals will be inside when it rains! I wonder who you will see on your virtual field trip?
2. New! Sesame Street Resources
- Help families navigate the current situation by focusing on “Caring for Each Other”
- Optional: Visit Sesame Street in Communities, where we just added relevant new videos, printables and learning-at-home resources for your family!
3. Choose one of the creative activities from below. Complete at home with the help of an adult.
4. Optional Enrichment: Science is brought to life in this podcast that tells stories about science discoveries with help from actual scientists. They answer questions from why cats always seem to land on their feet to what a journey to the center of the earth would look like.
Have questions about this week’s remote learning? email firstname.lastname@example.org or message me on ClassDojo
I’m sending smiles to brighten up your day! Watch ClassDojo for updates and awards. Stay safe and healthy everyone. I miss you!